Monday, January 17, 2011

Pork Chops with Pears and Gorgonzola

Here is another wonderful recipe from the Cooks Illustrated booklet of tear-out recipes I bought last winter (I think it was called 30 Minute Suppers Winter 2010...I've been looking for this year's version but haven't found it, and I'm not sure if it's a regular thing - hope so!). Their recipes have tons of helpful hints like amounts of time to brown meat and things like that - I've learned a ton just from following the recipes exactly.

I've made this three or four times and will probably continue to make it often. It's easy and really, really good! (Text copied directly from the tear-out card, except where I've made comments in italics.)


Sauteed Pork Chops with Pears and Gorgonzola
Serves 4

4 bone-in rib or center-cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick (I only use center-cut - the bone-in ones don't give you as much meat, though they do look pretty. I also would probably get 6 pork chops for four people. I like leftovers and opportunities for seconds, and the sauce is plenty for 6.)
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 firm pear, cored and cut into 3/4-inch wedges (see note below)
(I use 2 pears if I'm serving 4 people, 1 pear if I'm serving 2.)
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
(If you only have regular chicken broth, it works fine - just maybe use a tiny bit less salt at the end.)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (see note below)

1. Pat chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chops until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and tent with foil.

2. Toss pear with sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Add pear slices, cut-side down, to empty pan and cook until golden and beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes per side. (My pear slices usually aren't big enough to keep them on one particular 'side' or another, so just go with 3-4 minutes total and the "golden and beginning to soften" indicator.) Add broth and simmer until pears are softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to platter with pork.

3. Continue to cook until sauce is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in butter and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pears and chops. Top with cheese. Serve.

Test Kitchen Note: Bosc pears, a firm, russet-colored variety, work great in this recipe. For the boldest flavor, use an assertive blue cheese such as Gorgonzola or Roquefort.

(This is me again.) I've served this with mashed potatoes a couple of times, and once with rice and a fruit salad. It isn't as heavy as you'd think, so it isn't overwhelming with a starchy side dish - the pears keep it lighter.

Let me know if y'all try it!

Edited to add: I took a few iPhone pictures...they're not great photography or anything but I always find it helpful to be able to see what the final product looks like when I'm cooking! Even though the "after" picture has the pork chops pretty much smothered in pears. Oh well.

Pre-cooking
Finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment